Anyone who sets out to follow a dream is certainly going to have to face some enemies, both inward and outward ones. Whether your objective is financial, artistic, or spiritual – anything worth having will entail some struggle, sacrifice, and effort in order to achieve. In fact, that’s what makes it worth having in the first place. “Narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.” The road to great achievement is lined with the tombstones and abandoned dreams of those who have gone before. The gates of that citadel are guarded by tests, trials, and tribulations – so that only the pure of heart may enter in.
Whatever your noble quest, you are well advised to arm yourself and prepare for battle with the terrible 7 D’s:
- Doubt. It’s normal to second guess your goals, your strategy, even your team. But in the end you have to learn to trust your judgement, overrule your doubts and drive yourself forward.
- Danger. When the stakes are high, the risks are real! A worthy pursuit will take you places where a wrong move could mean losing everything. You’ll have to face your fears, calculate your risks, and press on.
- Dilution. Many are the opportunities to compromise along the road to your goals. You’ll be tempted to sell yourself short in many ways. Do whatever you must to keep the vision before your eyes.
- Disaster. When disaster strikes, which it does with random indiscretion, it will look like all is lost. But it’s not! Every team loses a few on their way to the title. And every time you have to rebuild you will do it faster and better than ever before. Get back up!
- Delay. The enemy of delay. Sometimes it’s the toughest opponent of all – waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more. But the determined can wait as long as it takes. While they wait, they sharpen their weapons and practice their skills.
- Desertion. Nothing can be more painful than desertion – when people you counted on forsake you and even turn against you. It’s like a kick in the guts. “When my father and my mother forsake me, Then the Lord will take care of me” Ps 27:10
- Discouragement. It’s hard to keep going when your hopes are crushed and your heart is broken. When you feel like giving up just read the epitaphs along the roadside: “Here lies A Dreamer. Got discouraged and quit.”
Just remember: you are a champion and nothing can stop you!